Book your field trip for the 2019-2020 Student Matinee season! Complete with an original study guide and a Q&A with the cast, a field trip to Emerald City Theatre is a great way to introduce kids to their favorite stories live on stage.
We recommend adding a Preparatory and/or Recap Workshop to round out your students’ experience. Learn more about Pre-Show Preparatory Workshops and Post-Show Recap Workshops (where we come to you!) here.
Our Student Matinee Season:
A bear. A button. A place to belong.
November 9, 2019 – January 5, 2020
at the Broadway Playhouse
Emerald City Theatre’s beloved production of Corduroy returns to Chicago just in time for the holidays! In this sweet adaptation of Don Freeman’s classic book, a small bear’s quest for a missing button leads to the friendship of a lifetime. After the lights are dimmed and the doors locked, the department store comes to life with circus elements and physical comedy. It’s up to Corduroy to outsmart the Night Watchman as he waits for his new pal Lisa to return with her mother. Along with exciting scenes of clowning and mischief, the story teaches the importance of empathy and unconditional love. Tailored for young imaginations, this playful adventure will delight ages three and up!
Ivy + Bean The Musical
A pal. A prank. A place to belong.
February 16 – March 15, 2020
at the Athenaeum Main Stage Theater
The magic of new friendship is as powerful as any spell — Just ask Ivy + Bean! Our two heroines couldn’t be more different. On one side of the cul-de-sac, there’s Ivy: Bookish and calculating, she’s a clever kiddo and witch-in-training. Just a few houses down, Bean is boisterous and bold, acting on her many whims and bravely taking on the world. Join these two adventurous girls as they form an unlikely friendship and help each other become intrepid explorers! Based on the hit book series, this Midwest Premiere musical from Emerald City Theatre will encourage young audiences to celebrate the unique qualities they bring to friendships!
The Name Jar
A newcomer. A name. A place to belong.
May 1 – June 2, 2020
at the Athenaeum Main Stage Theater
When a young girl immigrates to the U.S., she realizes her name tells a big story! Though Unhei’s name means “grace” in Korean, she feels anything but graceful as she learns to navigate her new home. The good news: Her new friends are welcoming and fun! The difficult news: They struggle to pronounce her name. Unhei decides it might be helpful to choose something more familiar to them. Enter the Name Jar: Unhei’s peers fill a glass container with names like “Daisy” and “Susie.” But, she quickly realizes that her name is a part of her identity in this world-premiere production. Based on the award-winning book by Yangsook Choi, The Name Jar is a sweet, bilingual show that explores Korean traditions while audiences sing, speak, and dance along!
Tickets for Student Matinees are a flat rate of $10 (compared to regular ticket prices of $16 and up).
To book your school group for 2019-2020 Season Field Trips:
- Call us at 773-529-2690
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reserve your school year field trip online
We know that money is sometimes the biggest obstacle when trying to bring your students on a field trip. Here are a few ideas we’ve heard from educators like you.
- Emerald City Theatre’s One Fund Grant: ECT’s One Fund grant brings one free theater performance and one free companion book to each student recipient.
- Target Store Grants: Target funds arts programs that bring the arts to schools or make it affordable for youth and families to participate in cultural experiences, such as school touring programs, field trips to the theater or symphony, or artists residencies and workshops in schools.
- NEA Partners – Arts Education: The National Endowment for the Arts provides direct grants in arts education, collaborates in federal, state, and public-private partnerships, and conducts research on arts education for the K-12 community and lifelong learners.
- Goodsearch & Goodshop: GoodSearch is a search engine which donates 50% of its revenue to the charities and schools designated by its users. You use GoodSearch exactly as you would any other search engine. In 2007, GoodSearch was expanded to include GoodShop, an online shopping mall of world-class merchants dedicated to helping fund worthy causes across the country. Each purchase made via the GoodShop mall results in a donation to the user’s designated charity or school – averaging approximately 3% of the sale, but going up to 20% or even more.
Have a successful fundraising idea to share? Please email us at email@example.com.